Who doesn’t want to wear sleeveless clothes during the summer season? After all, summer is a time for swimsuits, sleeveless frocks, and flaunting your winter workout results. However, dark underarms or armpits can take the thrill away. Skin discoloration of your underarms area is a well-known problem during summer. This discoloration can even result in hyper-pigmentation which is difficult to get rid of. Therefore, it’s essential you take steps forward to treat dark underarms.
Health Shots spoke to Dr Rinky Kapoor, Consultant Dermatologist, Cosmetic Dermatologist, and Dermato-Surgeon, The Esthetic Clinics, to find out ways to keep underarms smooth and bright as the temperature rises.
Before the solution, let us first understand why summer is responsible for dark underarms.
Why do your armpits get darker in summer?
As the temperature rises;
* Summer brings with it sweat and sweat blocks the pores which causes skin darkening.
* Another reason is the excessive use of deodorants and antiperspirants that can irritate the skin and cause inflammation leading to skin thickening and darkening over time. The culprit is the aluminum used in antiperspirants.
* The third reason is regular shaving and waxing. Dull blades, wrong wax, and dry skin lead to skin darkening.
* The fourth cause is the lack of hydration in the armpits.
* Other conditions that cause dark underarms are acanthosis nigricans, hormonal imbalance, diabetes, wearing tight-fitting clothes, etc.
Follow these tips to get rid of dark underarms
There are simple tips available that you can adapt in your life to keep your underarms smoother and brighter all through the summer.
1. Choose the right deodorant: Deodorants are a must but select ones that are free of alcohol, aluminum, and fragrances.
2. Limit shaving and waxing: Shaving and waxing definitely is not a bad idea. However, make sure you use a good and new blade. And do cleanse after shaving.
3. Moisturize your armpit: Moisturize your underarms using hyaluronic acid-based moisturizers. The skin repairs itself faster when it gets enough hydration.
4. Use the right products: Used products rich in vitamins B3, vitamin E, and glycerine which help in lightening the skin and are anti-inflammatory.
5. Keep it dry: Keep the area on your underarms dry and clean because sweat can make it rough and prone to darkening.
6. Wear loose clothes: Wear loose-fitting clothes with natural fabrics to avoid friction and let the sweat evaporate naturally
7. Avoid going in the sun: Avoid the sun as much as possible during the summer and wear sunscreen if you’re going out.
8. Stay hydrated: Drinking enough water can help keep your body as well as your skin hydrated. It is important to keep the skin hydrated as dry skin can become irritated and damaged making it prone to darkening.
9. Avoid spicy foods: Avoid eating too much spicy food as they induce sweat.
10. Avoid mid-day workouts: Avoid mid-day workouts in summer to reduce the chances of sweat.
11. Exfoliate the armpit: Exfoliate the armpits twice a week to remove dead skin cells.
Consult your dermatologist for professional treatments such as laser hair removal and micro-dermabrasion that help keep skin irritation at bay, said Dr Kapoor.
Here are some home remedies that you can use to brighten your armpits
1. Lemon and aloe vera
Blend one tablespoon of lemon juice, one tablespoon of aloe vera and apply the mix on your armpits and leave for 10 minutes. Wash normally. This is a DIY exfoliator which is great for underarm skin.
2. Cucumber and aloe vera
Slice some cucumbers and mix with aloe vera gel and apply it to the area of underarms. This moisturizes the skin and prevents pigmentation.
3. Olive oil and sugar
Blend 3 portions of olive oil with 1⁄2 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of honey and rub this paste on your armpits. This will help you get rid of the dead skin cells and clean your pores for lighter and smoother skin.
So ladies, make the most out of these tips and home remedies and wear your favourite sleeveless dresses this summer!