Be it biryani, pulav or a masala fry vegetable, dry spices like cardamom, star anise and cloves blow life and soul into the food. The aroma is bound to reach the neighborhood aunty’s nose who’s somehow always asking, ‘What’s cooking’? While spices like cloves are beneficial for your health, they can also beautify you when used topically. You’ll be amazed at how we can use cloves for hair care.
Yes, you read that right! Cloves are full of a bounty of hair care nutrients that we may not know about. Cloves and its oil are often used to cure oral health issues like tooth pain and bad breath. However, it can be used to significantly grow your hair longer and stronger!
Let’s know what an expert has to say about using cloves for hair care
Dr Nivedita Dadu, a renowned dermatologist, spoke to HealthShots about the immense benefits one can reap by using cloves for hair care.
“Cloves have been an important part of Ayurveda and traditional medicine to cure various problems. Benefits of clove can also be obtained from its leaves, stem, oil, as well as its dried buds.” says Dr Dadu, who is the founder and chairman of Dr Nivedita Dadu’s Dermatology Clinic.
Here’s a list of hair care benefits that cloves offer:
- Cloves contain high levels of antioxidants and nutrients that can add to the growth and strength of your hair.
- They can be used for protecting the scalp from dandruff, which is actually a major cause of weak and thin hair. Cloves also contain anti-inflammatory agents which further help in hair thickening. It helps to reduce hair fall too.
- With the presence of Vitamin K in cloves, there is better blood circulation which stimulates hair to grow. It treats dandruff, flakes, and relieves the itching associated with it due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- It also prevents the greying of hair due to its antioxidants.
The compound eugenol found in clove oil helps promote hair growth when applied to the roots. It can also repair, strengthen and add a healthy shine to the hair shaft when applied regularly.
Here’s how to make a hair rinse from cloves:
- Boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Lightly muddle 10 cloves and add them to the boiling water.
- Add 1 twig of curry leaves to the pan.
- Once boiled, remove it from the heat.
- Cool it down before use. You can also store this rinse in the refrigerator for a week.
Rinse your hair with this potent hair growth water as the last step of your hair wash routine.
“A clove hair rinse is blessed with powerful antiseptic and antifungal properties that can help to get rid of dandruff and all the itching and dryness associated with it. The antioxidants present in curry leaves moisturise the scalp and remove dead hair follicles. These leaves have high beta-carotene and protein content which helps in preventing hair loss and thinning of hair.” adds Dr Dadu.
So ladies, this practice of rinsing your hair with an antioxidant and antiseptic water is sure to boost your hair growth!