Sweat, hot weather, heat, hair treatments, air-conditioning – well, the list can go on and on for things that can cause hair fall. Thanks to Insta feeds, we are also not shying away from using all sorts of products and experimenting with our hair. What’s more obnoxious is that we are not even giving a second thought while applying these chemical-laden products on our hair. But it’s time to press pause and turn your head towards your kitchen.
Yes, you heard it ladies! We want to head to your kitchen because it has everything that your hair needs to get the rejuvenation it needs. And this recommendation comes from beauty expert Dr Blossom Kochhar. So, come, read, and repeat.
Hair growth hacks that you can try at your home
1. Coconut oil massage for the win: Take out at least 5 minutes in the day to massage your scalp. This will help in increasing the blood circulation and will initiate hair growth. You can either do it with a light oil or without any oil at all. Coconut oil has high fatty acids and antioxidants that give deep nourishment to the hair. It reduces hair fall, promotes hair growth and prevents dandruff. It improves hair follicles and stops hair breakage. Apply coconut oil all over your hair and scalp before shampoo for at least 30 minutes. Take a few drops of coconut oil onto the palm. Using fingertips, massage it all over the scalp, pat dry excess oil with a tissue.
2. Ginger is here to rescue your hair: Those who want to know an easy solution for hair growth, there is a very simple solution sitting in your kitchen. The vitamins, minerals and fatty acids in ginger promote hair stimulation which leads to hair growth. Ginger has gingerol in it which improves blood circulation which also leads to hair growth. Take 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, argan oil, onion juice, half teaspoon castor oil, 2 drops of lavender essential oil, 1 drop of rosemary essential oil and 1 teaspoon of ginger juice. Mix all these together and finally add 1 teaspoon of your conditioner. Apply it thoroughly on your scalp and hair strands, keep it on for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with your shampoo. You can use a light conditioner afterwards if your hair is too dry. This will not only make your hair grow faster but will also add luster to your hair.
3. Don’t just drink green tea, apply it on your scalp too: Green tea has antioxidants in them that promote hair growth. Regular use of green tea can give you quick results as soon as in 3 weeks. Try this simple DIY, boil some water and add green tea leaves of your choice. Now, wait for the green tea to cool down and then pour the lukewarm green tea on your hair. Let it rest for an hour on your hair and then rinse it off.
4. Apple cider vinegar is great for your hair too: Another magical, easily available ingredient for hair growth is apple cider vinegar. This one detoxifies your hair, removes all the dirt from hair follicles and balances the acidity rate of the scalp which helps in hair growth. Add a cap of apple cider vinegar to a mug of water and pour it on your hair after shampooing your hair. Let it be on for 5-7 minutes and then rinse it off, you can apply conditioner afterwards.
5. Good-old aloe vera is your hair’s BFF: Aloe vera is one ingredient that has a solution for every hair problem. Hence, it is a wonderful remedy for hair growth as well. In your shampoo, add 1 teaspoon of aloe vera and sugar. Sugar will remove all the dirt from your hair and aloe vera will promote hair growth. Do this in every wash and see the change.
6. Amla powder is the ultimate hair tonic: An age-old ingredient that is known to make your hair grow is amla. You can either eat it which is beneficial for both hair and skin & you can apply it too in the form of a paste. In a bowl, mix 2 teaspoons of amla powder and 2 teaspoons of shikakai powder and a little bit of water to make a smooth paste. Don’t let it get watery. Apply the mix to your scalp and hair and wait for about 45 minutes. After this, shampoo your hair in normal water. You can follow this routine once a week.
7. Try aromatherapy for your hair: If you want to take the aromatherapy route for hair growth then the best oils to use are lavender and rosemary. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil and add half a piece of avocado to the oil. Whisk them. Add a little bit of honey and an egg. Blend. Add rosemary and lavender oils – 10 drops each. Apply the mix to your scalp and hair and wait for 45 minutes. Shampoo off. Try this once a week.
8. Exfoliate your scalp with caffeine: Let us look at some exotic treatments as well. Mix 4 ounces of powdered caffeine with 8 ounces of your regular shampoo before you use it. You can also mix the caffeine powder with water to spritz it on your hair before a shower. This can be used on a daily basis, but try to avoid using it more than once per day.
9. Bring back hair softness with eggs: How can we forget eggs while talking about hair growth? One of the best and most used ingredients in hair masks. Mix two egg yolks with two tablespoons of olive oil and add about a cup of water to dilute the mixture. Massage this mixture into your scalp and thoroughly coat your hair before you let it set for about ten to fifteen minutes. Good for restoring essential vitamins in your hair. Use only once or twice per month.
10. Make banana BAE: This one is a little messy but has excellent results. Mix 1 banana with 1 teaspoon olive oil and aloe vera gel. Churn all three together in a grinder to get a smooth paste. Apply it on your tresses and scalp thoroughly and wear a shower cap to avoid the mask from dripping. Keep it on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse it off.